Friday, July 12, 2013

A Quick Time

Since my last post, I have had probably my best training run since I resumed serious running back in '10. I had missed my Sunday long run due to a late night out, and wasn't expecting too much for the week's training given the 4am finish.

I started back up on Monday with my usual 10km shake out at 5:20 pace, then surprised myself on Tuesday with a 15km tempo run that felt quite easy at 4:47 pace. Come Wednesday and it was perfect conditions for my 19km tempo run. Cool, no wind, and I felt very fresh.

I took off quickly but running within myself and was a little shocked when the first km ticked over at 4:33. After going through the second km at 4:30, I knew I was in for a good run, and decided to push hard the whole way. I felt strong right to the finish, and my fastest split was a 4:16 at km 17. In the end, I had run 18.69km at 4:35 pace.

Obviously missing the 26km run on Sunday had left me with a bit extra in my legs, but most importantly it has shown me I am on the right track with my training and am getting faster. I ended up logging 110km for the week, including a 21/26km weekend. That workload has left me a bit heavier in the legs and I haven't been able to match last week's time. Also, this week my sister was over with her family & I have missed two training runs, so will drop back to about 90km this week.

It will be interesting to see whether the lighter load this week will help my back to back long runs on the weekend.