Friday, July 26, 2013

Injured!

Just when I was patting myself on the back for managing my mileage increase so well and so carefully. Just when I was marveling at how great my body was feeling, and how I just needed to stay in one piece to run a seriously good race at Yurrebilla...

After hard tempo runs of 13 & 17km on Tuesday & Wednesday, I stepped out yesterday for an easy 15km, then bam! A sharp pain suddenly materialized in my left upper thigh at 12km. Bad enough that I couldn't keep running and had to do a very slow jog back to the office.

At first I thought maybe I had just pinched a nerve, but as I cooled down it was apparent there was a muscle strain, or maybe a slight tear. A search of the internet this morning has revealed the culprit to be....the...ABDUCTOR LONGUS!

So, what do I do? Well, I iced it last night, and it feels a little better this morning. Common sense would suggest rest for a few days, but as we know, ultra runners aren't sensible! I'm going to try a slow 5km on the treadmill at lunch time and assess how serious it is, and whether I can keep training while it heals. I'm supposed to do 20/32km on the weekend, and if it looks like I can maintain a slow jog, I will still do that.

I still can't believe I did it while on an easy run, and not when I was running my 17km tempo on Wednesday, during which I ran my first sub 4min/km split since high school. Oh well, these things are part and parcel of distance running, so hopefully I can manage it without too much disruption to my race preparation.