Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Goals for 2014

2013 exceeded all my expectations, and despite getting injured at the end of the year, I feel really satisfied with what I was able to achieve. To go from middle-of-pack in my first two ultras, to competing at a high level, was reward for an incredible amount of hard work, and I don't think I could have trained any harder.

Obviously with the injury, I am still learning what my limits are, and at 45 years of age, I probably only have a small window where I can still improve - maybe two years tops. I will have to be a bit smarter with my training, make sure I keep listening to my body when it needs a break, and start doing the 1% things like better diet, compression & recovery.

My immediate target is the Australian Trail Championships 50k at Maroondah Dam in March. I'm not sure if a top ten is achievable, but that is my goal at the moment. After that, I will train hard again during winter to get ready for the 2014-15 season, with particular attention to interval work. I definitely still need more speed to keep from getting blown away at the start.

From there, it will be Yurrebilla again in Adelaide in September, followed by my first 100k race - the Great Ocean Walk 100 in October on Victoria's Surf Coast. Then, depending on how I recover, I may defend my title at the 30/50 Challenge in November.

Although a relative newcomer to this sport, I have gained an incredible amount of enjoyment from it this past year, not only from my own racing, but also from following the elite level both in Australia and overseas. And of course, I love reading the blogs and twitter feeds of the everyday runners, who simply enjoy the freedom of getting out on the trails, getting close to nature, and testing their own limits.


May you all have a wonderful 2014.